When you are involved in a car accident in B.C., you are required to notify the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) of the incident within 24 hours of the crash. When speaking with an ICBC representative, you will be asked for a variety of information, such as your driver’s license number and the details of the accident, as well as if there were any injuries. Don’t make the mistake of thinking ICBC adjusters are working for you. You need to be very careful about what you say.
The Vancouver car accident lawyers at Warnett Hallen LLP have put together the following tips about how to handle talks with an ICBC insurance adjuster. Read on to learn how you can protect your claim.
What to Say to an ICBC Adjuster After an Accident
Be prepared to answer several questions from the ICBC insurance adjuster. Limit your answers to the facts. Provide your driver’s license number and the contact information of anyone else involved. You can also tell ICBC your insurance policy number, your address, and basic information about the make and model of your car. However, this is the only information you should provide. You are not obligated to make a statement right away. If the adjuster pushes for more information, such as specific details of the crash or any injuries, tell them that you will be speaking with a car accident lawyer first.
What Not to Say to an ICBC Adjuster
- Speculate about the extent of your injuries.
- Admit that you are at fault, or believe that you may be at fault.
- Allow ICBC to record you or sign any statements until you’ve spoken with a lawyer.
- Go into detail about what happened.
- Argue with the adjuster.
- Make any guesses. It’s OK not to know the answers to their questions.
Tricks ICBC Adjusters Use to Reduce Your Claim
Unfortunately, ICBC adjusters have many tricks they use to reduce the amount of your claim. These include:
- Giving you a 24-hour deadline to accept their settlement offer.
- Presenting a lowball offer.
- Telling you that you should have recovered already.
- Attributing your injuries to a pre-existing condition.
- Failing to mention all of the compensation you are eligible to receive.
- Overlooking significant losses.
- Telling you that you don’t need to hire a lawyer.
If you’ve already experienced any of these tactics already, it’s time to contact a respected B.C. personal injury law firm.
Why It Is Important to Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
Being injured in a car accident can have a drastic impact on your life. Dealing with ICBC is an unavoidable part of pursuing compensation after a crash, and it’s not always an easy path to navigate. A knowledgeable car accident lawyer can guide you by managing negotiations and defending your right to full and fair compensation.
You should also know that there have been several changes to the way ICBC manages injury claims in recent years. At Warnett Hallen LLP, our lawyers are continually monitoring these changes to anticipate its potential effects on our clients’ car accident injury claims.
How Warnett Hallen LLP Can Help After a Car Accident in Vancouver
If you’ve been injured in a wreck, you don’t have to go up against ICBC on your own. Reach out to a Vancouver car accident lawyer at Warnett Hallen LLP for a free consultation.