Although we may not be strangers to commuting in the rain, it is important for all drivers and pedestrians to exercise caution and be alert while on the road.
- Check that your tires are in good condition, have enough pressure and that the tread hasn’t worn out;
- Test your windshield wipers to make sure they work effectively and they don’t streak the window, limiting your visibility while driving;
- Be sure that your headlights and brake lights work well so you are visible and give other vehicles enough time to react on the road;
- Defog all of your windows before getting onto the road to have a clearer view of your surroundings; and
- If you are going to be using a GPS device to help navigate you to your destination, be sure that you program in the address before you begin driving to avoid any distractions.
While on the Road:
- Avoid cruise control so you have full control of your vehicle in case you need to react quickly;
- Maintain a safe distance from other vehicles;
- Use your turn signals so drivers behind you know to slow down; and
- Do not speed and be careful when switching lanes to avoid hydroplaning.
Tips for Pedestrians:
- Before crossing an intersection, be sure to look at both sides of the street before getting onto the road as sometimes holding an umbrella can obstruct visibility;
- When crossing the street in front of a vehicle, try to make eye contact with the driver so you increase your presence on the road;
- Wear reflective gear during darker times of the day to help drivers spot you; and
- Just as important it is for drivers to be off of their phones, the same goes for pedestrians. Avoid being on your phone while walking so you are aware of all of your surroundings.
What is the most important tip for both pedestrians and drivers? Slow down! Be sure to leave a few minutes earlier towards your destination so you do not feel the need to rush or make irrational decisions in this weather. You cannot control others on the road but you can definitely do your part by following the rules and always being alert.
Vancouver Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in a car accident because of a careless driver, the personal injury lawyers at Warnett Hallen LLP, rated by Georgia Straight readers as the “best lawyer to call when an accident strikes” are here to help. Contact the Vancouver car accident lawyers at Warnett Hallen LLP. We can assess your situation, guide you through an injury claim and help you settle for more.
The car accident lawyers at Warnett Hallen LLP never defend ICBC or the insurance companies. We represent injured claimants only.
Warnett Hallen LLP. Settle for more. Call today 604-737-3300.