Receiving a Long Term Disability denial letter can cause stress, anxiety and frustration. It is very confusing; you are in pain or suffering greatly from an illness and cannot believe the insurance company would deny you. After all you paid into this policy for many years. The financial assistance you expected to receive from the insurance benefits to assist you in time of need is not there.
Your first thought might be to appeal the decision. You are probably thinking that the insurance company will see their error.
Appealing Your Long Term Disability Claim Denial Letter
Before proceeding with an appeal of a denial of your Long Term Disability claim, here are a few things to consider:
- Your appeal will likely be decided by the same people who made the determination in the first place. They are likely not going to admit they made an error.
- The insurance company has not told you what information is missing from your original application. If you don’t have the right evidence how can you know what you will require to win the appeal?
- Sending a request for an appeal can take up to one year to get a response; this will further delay your ability to obtain any benefits or payment.
- You likely don’t have a copy of the policy. It will be difficult to prove the error from the insurance company if you don’t even know terms of the contract the insurance company is relying on to deny your claim.
- They have likely obtained a medical opinion from their own doctor. You will not have a copy. It will be nearly impossible for you to argue successfully against a report you have not seen.
- The appeal system was conceived, organized and managed by the same insurance company that has denied you; don’t you think it is worth speaking to someone else before jumping yet another hoop?
The Benefits of a Personal Injury Lawyer in BC
Appealing a denial decision may seem like the right thing to do, however before you fill out yet another form take the time to consult with a lawyer who can provide you guidance on the issues. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you make sure your appeal is successful or will recommend alternative ways to ensure you obtain the compensation you are entitled to receive.
Warnett Hallen LLP is Here to Help
If you have been denied the claim you deserve by your insurance company, Warnett Hallen is here to help you. Contact us today for a free consultation.