Bike Accidents Are Frequent
All around the Lower Mainland, changes to infrastructure and major roadways reflect a growing population of people who choose to cycle as a means of transportation. New changes to making biking safer go a long way, but bike accidents are still incredibly common and very dangerous in Vancouver, so it’s important to know how to avoid a bicycle accident and also what to do to protect yourself if you suffer an injury.
Vancouver’s new segregated bike lanes, bike-only turn signals and designated bike routes are improving cyclists’ safety on the road. But these changes have come with growing pains as both drivers and cyclists learn to share the roads. In the Lower Mainland from May to October each year an average of 630 cyclists are injured and four killed, according to ICBC reports. At Warnett Hallen, we want to foster a culture of safety for everyone on the roads of Vancouver.
10 Tips to Help Prevent Bike Accidents
What Can Cyclists Do to Avoid Injuries in Vancouver:
- Make eye contact with drivers.
- Plan your route along designated bike lanes or streets – even if it means traveling on a less direct path.
- Follow the rules of the road as a cyclist: don’t ride on sidewalks, don’t ride against traffic or the wrong way on a one-way street, and stop when required at intersections.
- Wear bright clothes or reflective gear if traveling before dawn or after dusk.
- Use hand signals to let drivers know your intentions.
What Can Drivers Do to Avoid Injuries With Bicyclists in Vancouver:
- Be patient and courteous.
- Be aware: always shoulder check, and when turning left or across a bike lane, assume cyclists are traveling faster than you think.
- When parked at the curb, look before you open the vehicle door.
- Provide wide space margins behind and beside cyclists (cyclists are allowed to ride in the middle of a travel lane).
- Be extra cautious at intersections, especially when turning right across the cycle lanes.
Bike Accident Lawyers
A bike accident can have a detrimental impact on your overall quality and enjoyment of life, ability to earn and ability to work in the future. If you have been injured in a bike accident, the personal injury lawyers at Warnett Hallen LLP are here to help obtain the compensation you deserve.
Warnett Hallen LLP. Settle for more. Call today 604-737-3300.